Sunday, October 02, 2005

Ode to the Activist

If I told you I was depressed
would you be there to listen?
or would my tears
Rain on your funeral march?
If I told you
I had premonitions of death
would you think my cultural lens
was negative?
I’m sorry, I guess
I clean my glasses too much
with windex.
Please see me
Cause I see you
Don’t glaze your eyes over me
like I’ve put myself out for sale
Cause I look at you
Like a precious gift
valuable, priceless
To me, you are not dispensable.
I walk the streets
my hands full of fliers
I trip when my wagon flips
on the unmerciful crossroads
Papers are taken by the wind
and my mind flies with them
as I rush to get to the other end
Chaos around the bend
I warn its comin’
by sticking signs along the way
my voice trembles to let you know
sometimes one stops
others keep goin‘.
In my heart I know you know
and you looked up when black crows crowed
think of me as the messenger
who passes the paper on the corner.
I am the visionary
who sees into the future
Something is rolling around the bend
a penny for a thought
is cheaper than death
a moment to listen and discuss
maybe on each other we’ll depend
when they come busting down our doors
and when history goes back again
i’ll want to make sure
that you’ll be my comrade then.
from latin america
to africa and asia
pacific islands and north america
europe and the ends of the world
i’ll want to be sure freedom doesn’t cost
anythin’
i walk the streets
bearing my soul
even though snipers
target my ideology
my wishing so strong
that I dare to stand among
crowds that do not know me
and I speak in hopes they realize that they do.
because my voice trembles when I relay the message
it is the many words of needed justice
I capture in my frequency
I hear you speaking
from across the world
and I am here for you transmitting
My eyes are gleaming with intent
mental pictures of death and destruction
is nothing far fetched--
Someone fell in the distance
Here the picture was painted
Do you see it, or do you refuse to clear your lens
Do you hear the crows crow
or do you not pay attention
You can stop and listen
or just walk on by,
But I hope you understand why
I’m here
I am not here to rain on your funeral march
I am not here to clean your lens
But to let you see the world that I see
and let you know that I will be your friend
I stand here speaking these words
So you know you can come and talk to me
when you feel there needs to be amends...

No comments: